Saturday, December 1, 2007

здравствуйтё (hello)

Hello from Petro. We are currently experiencing technical difficlties (ok, and possibly some operator problems also) so please excuse the delay in not posting pictures...they'll be here...I promise!

We visited our little man twice now since arriving yesterday. Our visits with him have been great - I think he remembered us but it has taken him a little while to warm up. Yesterday we spent a couple hours getting reacquainted and introducing him to his sister. She fell quickly in love with him and began crying when we had to bring him back to his room saying, "no, we take brother with us" to the caregivers. Brought tears to our eyes. He played with Allison very well today and by the end he was following her around and she was calling him her "secret agent" (no idea where that came from). He now runs to me when our coordinator asks "where's mama?". He is not talking at all yet and has been given a diagnosis of "delayed speech development". It really seems though that it will come at any time. He makes some noises and responds well to other noises (so we are not concerned about his hearing).

Our 10 days were not waived (we did not expect them to be) so we will leave Petro on December 17 (we have to stay the mandatory 10 day waiting period and then an additional week to get his passport) and then we'll take a train to Moscow (where he will have his medical check-up and we have our appointment with the US Embassy) on the 18th and 19th, flying home December 20th. He will become a US citizen once his little feet touch US soil...so New York.

We will not be able to see him tomorrow (Sunday) but we are going to be able to take him back to the apartment with us Monday - whoo hoo! We will spend Monday picking up and delivering orphanage donations, talking to his doctors and getting any information that we would like from his files (were going for as much as we can). It should be a great day and hopefully I will have by then figured out how to get pictures posted.

4 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Glad to hear your court hearing went well and you've had two great visits with your son. I'm glad Allison has taken to him and already learned that she can take him under her wing. Loved the "secret agent" comment. Isn't it funny how children just pick up on things and use them months later. I'm glad to hear that you are able to bring him back to an apartment on Monday as that will allow more time together before you travel home. We are so excited and cannot wait to see pictures!

MandyJo013078 said...

Amy -
I'm so glad that everything is going so well! I haven't been on the blogs a whole lot lately and I'm sorry I missed your jewelry show the weekend before Thanksgiving things have just been crazy for me lately. I can't wait to see pictures of your little guy! Can't wait to hear about Monday when you get to bring him back to the apartment. I'm praying for your family! It's such a blessing that you'll be home in time for Christmas!
Mandy

Carey and Norman said...

Okay, you must have your son by now. Have I told you how excited I am for you? I cannot wait to be reunited with our daugther, so I know you are on Cloud 9 right about now. I cannot wait to read the next post where you share picking him up at the orphanage, your first day together as a family, and hopefully we'll even get to see some pictures (hmmm....I guess you may still have to wait until after the ten day waiting period).

Many blessings!!

Deb said...

I hope you can get pictures loaded. I'd love to see the kids together. So great that they already play well together.