Friday, November 30, 2007

OFFICIALLY OURS!!

About two hours ago (noon Petro time) we were declared official parents of our little man by the Supreme Court of the Region of Karelia! We are so excited!

We were told the judge arrived at her conclusion in "record time". The entire proceeding took just under two hours (typically a minimum of 3 in this region). It was a little intiminating, with difficult questions asked by both the judge and prosecuter. In the end the prosecuter explained that it is his recommendation that we be granted the adoption. After all questions were asked the judge went into her chambers to make her decision - she came back and read that she is granting our request and I cried...it was an awesome moment. It all went much smoother than any of the social workers, adoption workers and translators expected. We are going to see him shortly (we haven't been able to see him yet this trip) - we'll get to bring our daughter along and we cannot wait to watch them interact for the first time...the video camera will be rolling.

The trip has otherwise been alright - we are quite jetlagged but the adrenaline is keeping us going. Our little princess did really well on the flights but not so well on the train. She is definately struggling with the time change - she slept only an hour or two of the 14-hour overnight train ride...apparently testing our patience to make sure were ready for another one. We got here just in time to drop her off at a babysitter's and get to court. (The babysitting went very well - she stayed with a woman who spoke English and her daughter - she didn't want to leave after court!) We just got to the apartment and took our first shower since before leaving and now were getting ready for the orphanage. This city is covered in snow - really pretty and it is only light here from 10 am - 3pm!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers! Hearing the judge declare he's ours was so similar to the day I heard the doctor say, "yep, it's a girl"...that same feeling, just different words.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations on the news! I take it the 10 days was waived for you guys? Its going to be a wonderful Christmas for your family this year.

Shane & Marie said...

When I woke up this morning, the first thing I thought of was you. I am so happy to hear that court went well. I can't begin to imagine how stressful it was. I can't wait to hear more about the two of them interacting together.

Troy and Rachel said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you!! Can't wait to hear about your visit back with your little man. I'm glad court went well and was relatively painless!!

Carey and Norman said...

Can you hear me cheering from Tennessee? That is how excited I am for you. What great news for the court hearing to go so well. That is a relief as I know we are all a little anxious of what to expect. Did you get the ten days waived?

I cannot wait to see pictures. Oh, how lucky you are to have your children together at last. I know you've been waiting for this moment for so long now.

We are so estatic and thrilled and cannot wait to get an update once you've reunited with your son! What a Christmas blessing!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!
We are all sooo..... Happy for you guys!!! Your message gave us all chills and I almost cried reading it!!! We miss you much BUT are very excited about your new addition!! The boys can't wait to see Brady when you bring him in for show and tell!! Horace May is a tizzy with the good news! Our thoughts are with your on your return trip.
Act Room

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you!! The tough parts are over. Soon you will be home with your family celebrating the true meaning of Christmas, love and family!

Scott said...

Great news!!! I can't wait to see the new addition when you get back to the states. Mom and Dad have been updating us. Sounds like Monday is the day for sure of custody? Again, congrats!

Allison said...

Congratulations!! I'm so excited for your family. I can't wait to hear details about your daughter and your SON meeting each other for the first time!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you all and look forward to seeing his little pictures! I'm glad your daughter was able to travel with you, too! I hope you have a very smooth transition! What a wonderful Christmas blessing!! :)

Patti said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your family! It is so encouraging to hear wonderful news like yours. It gives us hope for the future!