Thursday, November 1, 2007

Happy National Adoption Month!

November is National Adoption Month...check out http://national-adoption-month.adoption.com/ for details and a calendar of events.

We are keeping busy in attempt to keep our mind off the fact that are really missing our little guy and are dying to know our next travel dates already. Last weekend we started painting his room (pics to come). I have been busy trying to get ahead with grad school stuff in case we leave before the end of the semester. Unfortunately Ryan has been busy fixing our car. While I was feeling guilty about missing trick-or-treating in class last night Ryan was busy consoling Big Bird because as they were to leave for trick-or-treating the breaks went out on our car. My poor Big Bird.

This weekend we are hitting the fundraising head on (again) as we are going to St. Cloud for another craft show to sell jewelry. Other news is that we have decided on bringing our daughter with us on our second trip. Petro does not waive the 10 days so our stay will need to be 3 weeks. I cannot imagine leaving her that long - 6 days was long enough. We are nervous about the flights and 14-hour train ride but feel that we are still making the best decision. Last weekend we showed her pictures of her brother for the first time (we did not show her beforehand just in case) and explained to her that she will be going to Russia with us next time. She does not of course fully understand yet but she is starting to talk about him more. At Target today we had the following conversation:

"Mama, I get this shirt for brother"

"No, honey. That is too much money."

"No Mama. Not too much money. Get for brother."

"Do you have money?"

"Yes Mama. In your purse."

Then we had a good ol temper tantrum when I explained that actually there is no money in the purse and that we cannot get the shirt for her brother. OK...so this may seem like a funny way of showing some acceptance for her new brother but I'm thinking were getting there!!

10 comments:

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I LOVE your daughter's take on buying presents for her brother! I don't know how I'd leave Owen for that long either, and I know Carey is concerned about leaving her son for so long too. I believe they are going home during the 10 day wait and then she is returning by herself to bring her daughter home.

I'm sorry to hear about your car. I hope it is easily fixed for not too much money! Your Big Bird was absolutely precious. I hope she had a fun time despite the breaks!

Good luck with your next jewelry show!

MandyJo013078 said...

Amy -
That is too sweet! What times are you going to be selling the jewelry in St. Cloud and where in St. Cloud, because I was thinking of coming up there to say hello in person! Hope you are doing well and I'm praying that you have a speedy court date and a great trip w/ your daughter.
I hope that the car gets fixed soon! I know a great guy in Princeton - who works out of his home and fixes cars. Let me know if you need a number? That is who I use! I hope I get to meet you this weekend! Mandy

Troy and Rachel said...

What an adorable conversation you posted with your daughter. I think you'll be glad you are taking your daughter to Russia even with the long flight and train ride. I hope you hear a date for court soon.

Patti said...

Poor Big Bird! Disappointment is never easy. Sometimes as an adult I wish temper tantrums were still allowed. It sounds like you are keeping busy. I'm sure the wait doesn't get any easier. We're praying your second trip comes soon! Big Bird will have the adventure of a lifetime in Russia. I try not to think about us leaving our son back here for trip 2.

Deb said...

Cute story. Glad she's happy to have a brother right now. Hope the craft show went well.

Deb said...

Cute story. Glad she's happy to have a brother right now. Hope the craft show went well.

Carey and Norman said...

How sweet that your daughter is wanting to buy for brother too!

We understand your anxiety with leaving your little one behind as we are in the same situation. I think I am planning to stay for the 3 weeks, but I continually go back and forth on staying and flying back and flying a third time. So many decisions.

Glad you are staying busy during the wait!

Becky and Keith said...

I don't blame you at all for wanting to take your daughter with you! That is such a long time to be away from your little one! What a cute conversation... she's a smart little girl! :-)

Scott said...

lol to target convo

I understand your decision on bringing her. That would be too hard not to have her around. As tough as it may be, that will be a wonderful trip.

Let us know

Jane and Jim said...

What a sweet little angel - trying to buy something for her brother... I hope you get your court date soon!!