Thursday, December 13, 2007

December 13, 2007

Today we took the trolley out to the big city of Petro, actually a fairly nice little city with a beautiful view of a lake and gorgeous trees. The region looks much like our home in Northern Minnesota, with large trees, forests and a large lake. We saw the sun for the first time since we left home today...what a difference that makes. It is still brutally cold as can be seen in the way people dress. I had thought before coming to Russia that the large hats and fur coats were a stereotype, but they are not. I cannot believe the comments we receive from strangers about Allison not wearing snowpants – someone actually stopped us to wrap her scarf around her poor face because they thought the poor thing was not dressed properly. We had to buy Brady snowpants (although we have some at home...we do live in MN) because we were told they may not let him out of the orphanage without them (a warning to pre-adoptive parents). We also learned that Allie should have tights under her pants because people WILL pick up her pants to make sure...really – it has been done countless times. The first few days I neglected to put tights under her pants. Women would pick up her pants and when they discovered that I had not put tights on her they would shake their heads and wave their fingers and I am pretty sure they were swearing at me in Russian.

We enjoyed walking through Petro today, looking at the city so that someday we can explain to our son what it looks like. Our trolley experience went well again, another piece of evidence against the desire for personal space though. My most embarassing moment of the trip (yes...so far) was when we got on an extremely crowded trolley to come back to the apartment. There were of course no seats available and I got separated from Ryan and Brady and stuck in the middle. I could not hold onto a bar because there were too many people in front of them and was holding my very tired daughter. So the trolley comes to a sudden stop and I fly back, falling onto about 20 strangers with daughter in hand. Whoops.

5 comments:

Mama Fish said...

Amy- I've been following your blog for awhile. We are also adoptiving from Russia, so I've been reading with interest your posts! Your description of checking on the tights under your daughters pants had me cracking up! We hope to use Marriott points at the Grand as well, we have a lot and we have some also being donated. Hope that it is as beautiful as it's description.

Troy and Rachel said...

Hilarious - about the trolley experience!! Glad you were okay!! That is crazy that they check for tights and then wrapped a scarf around your daughters face! Different country, different ways of life!! love it!

MandyJo013078 said...

I'm praying for you safe return home! The trolley incident is too funny! I'm sure it wasn't as funny at the time as it probably is now ... but someday I'm sure both the children will enjoy that! Oh and about the weather and dressing .... I'm here in the Twin Cities and some one (who shall remain nameless) gave me a hard time about the fact that IV didn't have a coat/snowsuit on just this week. In my defense she was dressed warmly and then snuggled into her bundle me that fits in her carseat ... but we can't do both a snowsuit and the bundle me or she sweats too much! So it's not only Russia that you'll get a talking to about dressing the babies! Hope that makes you feel better!

Scott said...

Amy, I hope Ryan has the trolley incedent on video. I need this.

Glad you guys are able to get out and about. Nice to see the area where Brady first was born. Continue to have a safe trip.

Carey and Norman said...

Thanks for the advice on the clothing. I guess we need to buy some snow pants and bring plenty of tights for our daughter. I never thought about them coming over and checking your child's clothing in front of you. Too funny. They aren't shy in Russia!

I also laughed at your trolley experience. I'm sure that will be a memory you'll share for many years to come.

You are getting close to coming home! Yeah!!