Monday, December 10, 2007

OUCH...that hurt!

What’s that that just hit me? Oh, yeah...a big dose of reality – right in the face! The past couple of months have been so filled with excitement, anticipation and energy along with a little frustration...but overall feelings very different, far beyond the real world. So, we are going along on this high and BAM – it hits, for us it hit around 2am a few nights ago – and it was a very large dose of our first case of a very disgusting Russian flu – caught by our little man. So...here we are in the small, one bedroom apartment trying to keep the two children who we had just been encouraging to play closely, now apart. There has been heavy amounts of crying, sickness and frustration 24 hours a day (some admittedly by yours truly).

Because our 10 day wait is not over they wanted to put Brady back into the orphanage to incubate him, worrying that we would all catch this as well and be unable to travel when we leave for Moscow in 7 days. We really did not want this, fearing that this would only confuse and traumatize him more. As it turned out they were unable to do this due to the fact that they had other children incubated who were sadly in worse conditions. We do have to say that our coordinators here and all the people in the orphanage are wonderful, caring people – they do so much with what little they have, with one coordinator here very late in the evening on Sunday and the orphanage doctors consistently telephoning to check on Brady. I have vowed again and again to not take for granted all of our freedoms and luxuries we have at home.

In other news...CONGRATS to my very dear friends Jody and Laura! Jody was married yesterday in San Francisco, I am so sorry I had to miss being a part of her wedding. My friend Laura had a baby girl on Sunday! I am so sorry I missed your both of your big events – I love you both!

3 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Sorry to hear about Brady coming down with the flu. Of all times. At least you have a few days left before traveling home to get him better. I know you would rather be here in the States with American doctors, but it sounds like the staff at the orphanage and the doctor are very helpful. It is wonderful to hear how well they take care of these little ones.

Missed hearing from you, so it is good to know that you continue to do well...even though Brady is sick!

Patti said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog! So sorry to hear about Brady getting sick. I hope the rest of you stay healthy. It sounds like you are surrounded by some wonderful people there, checking in on all of you.

Troy and Rachel said...

I am glad you have been able to keep Brady with you, but I am so sorry he has been so sick. I hope he gets well soon and that you all manage to stay well also. That is wonderful that everyone is checking on you.