Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Where in the world is Petrozavodsk?




So, I realized my map to the left leaves a little to be desired so here it is enlarged. Petro is on Lake Osega - near the Finland border. Petrozavodsk (Russian: Петрозаво́дск; Karelian/Finnish: Petroskoi or Äänislinna) is the capital of the Republic of Karelia, Russia, with a population of 266,160 (2002 Census). It stretches along the western shore of the Lake Onega for some 27 kilometers. We are very excited about the region. It's sister city is Duluth, Minnesota (only a few hours from here and one of favorite places to visit).

It is hard to believe that it is less than a week from us meeting our little guy. This past week is a very big blur. Allie is super excited about visiting Gramma and Grampa. She has every toy packed ready to go (which is helping us). Last night I explained to her (again) that Mommy and Daddy will be in Russia meeting her brother and she says, "I know mama and you gonna miss your Allie" with a big smile on her face, patting me on my shoulder. Tonight she helped me pick out a teddy bear to bring to her brother. She gave it a big hug and said, "you go to Russia with Mommy and Daddy" and then put it in my suitcase. (Where's the video camera when I need it?)


4 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Sounds like an exciting region. We really liked Kaliningrad when we were looking at all the regions as it is closer to Norway and Finland. I am so excited about your journey to Petro and cannot wait to read your blog during your trip. Allie is a doll and what a sweet thing to do concerning the bear. It is so fun to read your blog as we are opposite of you. It is our son staying behind as we travel to our daughter. How fun!!

Becky and Keith said...

Wow! It is way up there! Your daughter sounds like such a sweetie and I'm sure she will be spoiled rotten by Gramma and Grampa! :-)

Troy and Rachel said...

Oh Amy - I know how excitd you are and we are for you. I can't wait to hear about your trip and we are so thrilled you have your referral. Allie will have the best time at her grandparents so don't worry too much!!

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.