Monday, September 24, 2007

You Tube video

Below I thought I'd share a video I found on You Tube (you have to double click on it and it will bring you to You Tube to watch it). It's great for us parents in waiting as it illustrates the feelings a child has leaving the orphanage. It gets me thinking of how hard it will be if our little guy is very upset to leave the place he has known all his life while we will be so thrilled to finally have him in our arms. In thinking about it I think we will have to acknowledge the loss or grief that our child may be having despite all of our excitement. It is not easy to think of it this way...I want to picture our little one clinging to us with happy smiles, sharing the same joy we will have. Anyway...just some random thoughts. Not much new on the adoption front although in the past week I have received emails from two different couples in Minnesota also adopting from Russia AND who have been assigned to our region - Tver. One of the couples submitted their dossier shortly after we did so there is a good chance we will be traveling together. We are hoping to meet up with them next time we are near Minneapolis. It will be great to keep in contact with each other as we wait and hopefully as our sons grow.

3 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Thanks for sharing the video from You Tube. It is true that we have these expectations that are unfair for a child that has no idea what it means to be adopted from his normal routine and life. I think it is important that we remember to not only think of our expectations, but those of the child we are adopting.

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Amy, I think about this alot. It will be so exciting for us to finally take our children with us, but it will be hard for them as they have to adjust to being with people that they don't know and as they leave all that they've known for at least the past 9 months or so.

I'm glad you've found some other local families adopting from Tver. I've been in contact with one of the families you are probably referring to, and they seem very nice!

Carey and Norman said...

I was checking for an update, but I thought I would share that every time I see your blog heading I think of Norman and I memorizing how to say I Love You. We would say Yahtzee (like the game) Bah (what my son calls his blanket) la Blue (the color of his blanket). This is how we memorized how to say it. Ha.