Sunday, September 2, 2007

IAD (Intl. Adoption Doctor) and other stuff

So we have done some searching lately for an international adoption doctor. Services seem to vary greatly from hiring a doctor to come to the orphanage to using an array of procedures to tell if the child has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. We have decided to use the University of Minnesota's adoption clinic (http://www.med.umn.edu/peds/iac/home.html). They have a great repuatation and are easy access to us. I have also been in recent contact with a doctor there who is doing research on children under 3 adopted from Eastern European countries. We are not sure whether we will participate in that. We are glad to have made the decision about who to go with however do not yet know to what extent we will use them (for instance - we haven't decided if we will have the child examined for FAS features). Not a lot new on the adoption front - often people in Russia take vacation for most or all of August so we are hoping and praying things will pick back up in September. We are a little discouraged that our region has been very inactive. As Rachel said to me in an email earlier today, "this process is not for the faint of heart". So true!

In other news we have been keeping busy with many house projects...some planned and some not. We PLANNED on painting our kitchen cabinets, walls and living room and did complete this massive undertaking :). We DID NOT PLAN on our electricity in half the house to stop working and for the septic to give...long story short our very nice friends Kami and Chad (an electrician) came over and for the mere price of pizzas spent hours looking into our electrical problem. Well...we ended up finding a "secret room" attached to our closet which had a light dangling from it and burned some wires - we could have lost our whole house!! The septic is another story - the roots to our neighbors large tree have dug into and pierced a whole in our septic line - part of which is under the house!! So...needless to say most our labor day weekend has been spent digging! At least we had good weather! I am also getting preparing to go back to school...the next few months will be very busy for me as I work on my last semester of grad school :) and my workload heads into full force. The good thing about that is that when I am that busy time will seem less until we meet our son!

5 comments:

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

That's great that you found an adoption doctor. I've heard good things about that program. It's hard to know what kind of services you will need. I keep thinking I'll wait until we get our referral, and, if needed, we can always get some additional opinions. Hopefully things will pick up in our region soon!!

I'm sorry to hear about your house issues. I'm glad you caught the problems before something worse happened. Good luck with everything!

Gary & Rosalie Clute said...

Thanks for checking out our blog. We have added yours to our favorites and will keep track of your progess.

It's funny, we were reminded of our daughter Nicole (now 15) when she was little when we saw pictures of Allison on your blog (except Nicole's hair was brown).

MandyJo013078 said...

Amy - I hope that I can make it to the St. Cloud Civic center to meet you in November! I think it would be fun & maybe I can bring my mom, sister, and EV to meet you & your family! I think the IA dr is the same one at the UofM that I'm planning on contacting. I'm so glad that you guys are close to me! Have a great holiday weekend and I hope everything goes better w/ the septic and the electric stuff!
MandyJo

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear about your electricity and septic tank mess!! A secret room? How fun and kind of spooky too! :)

We started out with an IAC doctor and then decided to use a local pediatrician who is very familiar with Russian medicals after the doctors at the IAC were unable to review our referral when we needed them to. We are very happy with our doctor and saved a lot of money! I think either way you go, as long as the DR. has experience with Russian medicals and international adoption, you'll be okay. I read a lot online too and in books before we got our referral, and that helped us know what we could and couldn't handle.

When you get your referral, you'll know :)

Troy and Rachel said...

I love having friend who for the "mere price of pizzas" will help oput in a pinch. I'm sorry all those things happened, but glad the electric is fixed now! I'm also glad you founf the IAD. I think having those things lined up makes the process not quite as scary!!