Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Fundraising

For all of you at least a little familiar with international adoption you are aware of the incredible costs. As we now wait and pray for accreditation and to receive our referral we are struggling to find ways to support our adoption. Most of you are aware that recently the nonprofit agency we both work for was forced to close. Fortunately Amy's position is one of three that will remain as she's contracted to work in the schools however Ryan was officially laid off this week. Having paid for 1/3 of our costs to this point and knowing that a little boy waits for us (and us for him)we are keeping on. We would love to hear any ideas from our creative family and friends as well as suggestions from the many new friends we have met in this process. So....if you have a suggestion please leave it in our comments and we'll keep track of them. One thing we have decided to do is to sell bracelets...hence the bracelet picture and donation button to your left. We just started our counter below and found we got over 50 hits on our blog in one day! Glad to know we are so interesting :) so we figured at that rate we could actually fund our adoption on these bracelets...so my wonderful husband has agreed to shave his head if we sell 2,000 bracelets! Bald is beautiful and I promise to post pics here. Other things we have done thus far include:

*Applying for adoption grants (no luck yet)
*Took out a loan against our home (helpful but still short $20,000)
*Selling any item we could possibly do without on ebay
*Adoption bracelets

6 comments:

Deb said...

So sorry to hear Ryan lost his job.
I'm right there with you. We actually received a grant recently so don't give up. It can happen.
I am getting ready to do another garage sale. If you can request donations from friends and family it helps. Or it has for me.
That's about the best thing I've done. My last garage sale we raised about $700. Not much but for one days work it was good.

Good Luck!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband losing his job. I'm sure it has been a difficult week for your family. One grant source we've heard about is Shaohannah's Hope. This was started related to Steven Curtis Chapman's adoption of his daughter Shaohannah. There is a website online. I'm not sure of the process or how many people actually get approval, but I've heard good things about them.

Becky and Keith said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's job. During the adoption roller coaster, it's always so hard to have things like this happen. I don't have any ideas about the fundraising, but it looks to me like you're on the right track!

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys...finally got around to checking in with your blog...it's wonderful...good job. I will be placing a donation as well as passing it on to my friends. You're in our thoughts and prayers! Love ya. Liz and Dan

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Hi there,

I am so sorry to hear about your job loss, Ryan. I know how hard it is to raise this money!! For our adoption, we had two huge garage sales with items donated from all our family and friends and made $3000. We applied for and received a $2000 grant from Shoahannah's Hope (more info and application are available via stevencurtischapman.com). In the end, we also had to take a home equity line of credit to pay for the rest. We had no idea how we'd ever pay for the costs when we started, but it all fell into place with time.

Best wishes,
Adrienne

Jeanette and Greg said...

My husband & I raised $4,000 for our adoption (in progress) by putting on a spring dance at a local high school & inviting tons of people & my husband was the DJ. Local businesses & friends donated raffle prizes - we put $10 worth of raffle tickets into each invitations & people bought those even though they couldn't come. Our invitation was a fun flyer with a return envelope for the RSVP & Donation - i guess there's a even higher paying job out there for Ryan - you guys will be ok.