Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Cute letter...

I recently found a sample letter suggested a child give to the family and friends of his/her family. It is a good example of what is often recommended for children trying to attach to their new families. We have been doing a lot of reading about attachment struggles of Russian orphans and of course want to ease our sons transition while showing him we are not going anywhere.

Dear family and friends,

You must care very deeply for me to be reading this note. I can’t wait to meet you, but there are some special things you should know about me. I am only just learning what it means to have a mommy and daddy and how to be part of a family. For this reason, please allow my parents to do all my caretaking, including holding, comforting, and feeding me. You are welcome to play with me and smile and talk to me. My mommy and daddy have been told by experts that this will help me learn as fast as I can how to be a happy and healthy part of my new family.

Love,
xxxx

Hope all is well with all of you! We'll keep you updated!
Ryan & Amy

1 comment:

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

This letter is great! I'm trying to figure out how to communicate this to our friends and family that are not yet aware of the need for our child to get to know us and be comfortable with us at first before being around too many other people.