Monday, August 13, 2007

Shirts and fundraising...




These shirts are too cute (found at http://www.adoptionmama.com/) - a fellow blogger talked about the site and it's attentiveness to adoption issues! The first shirt says "Yes, I am still adopting. No, I haven't heard anything yet". The second shirt is difficult to read but states "WARNING: I am in love with a child I haven't met yet. I am in the process of adoption. I am subject to cry at any moment. Please bear with me until my referral comes".
On another note...we had our third fundraising sale this weekend. It was ok...I guess you take the good with the bad. We met very nice people and many who took our card to look at our blog here - if you did - thank you so much for your support!! So...here I go - this is my therapeutic venting for the day - if someone says hi to you - say hi back!!! UGH! I cannot believe the amount of people that do not say "hi" when spoken to OR the amount of people that feel it is okay to say "don't you know there are kids in the US?" My response, "Yes, I am aware of that. We are so fortunate to live in a country though where there is not a high need for adoption of infants while in Russia 700,000 children wait in orphanages". Still...I am sure people can hardly hear me as I'm grinding my teeth in frustration. Yet - there are others who are so supportive - people who stop to ask about the process or stop to introduce me to their adopted child....no amount of sales can make up for moments like that. The amount of love and support from strangers to not was so much more when I was pregnant than it is now. So this is my soapbox (for today): if you know someone who is adopting - show her just as much excitement and joy as you would if you saw a big round belly on her...she needs and deserves that!

3 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

I love the Warning t-shirt!! You're right about people - some people are so happy to hear we are adopting and some ask why not from here. Then there are those who kindof say "oh" and you know they just aren't interested. I try to just let those people roll off my back, but you're right everyone adopting should get lots of congratulations! Hopefully you're next sale will go a little better.

Becky and Keith said...

Amen to that!!! It's so frustrating to get that weird look when you say you're adopting. My boss is the worst - he asks me "why would you want to ruin what you have?" I'm sorry... WHAT? This coming from a man that has a child everytime he blinks. :-) There are so many ignorant people out there, aren't there? I love the shirts too! I'm planning on buying the first one - maybe 7 of them - one for each day of the week. :-)

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Cute shirts!! I love both of them-so fitting!

I agree with you about the rude comments. It can be frustrating. I just emphasize that God is leading us to adopt our child from Russia!